Sewing machines from the Singer Corporation are famous in the whole world since 1851. Many people grew up seeing their parents and grandparents sewing with a Singer.
Today, if someone needs to purchase a sewing and embroidery machine, they never forget to check out what new machines or features Singer has brought into the market. For all such people, and of course you, I am reviewing the top 5 sewing and embroidery machines from Singer.
AT A GLANCE
Best Singer Sewing and Embroider Machine Reviews
Singer was not a new name to me as I often saw my mother using a sewing machine from this brand to craft eye-catching designs on my dresses. This brand has been a part of our family.
With early exposure to Singer and interest in everything related to sewing and embroidery, I believe I am in a better position to help you get the best Singer machine for your sewing and embroidery needs.
Below are the reviews of some of the most efficient and reliable sewing and embroidery machines from Singer. I have used my experience as well as online and offline research to review these machines.
The one I find overall best for all types of sewers is the Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine. It allows you to finish all kinds of sewing projects with ease and perfection.
With 23 inbuilt stitches of this sewing machine, you can carry out tasks like home décor, fashion, crafts, quilts, and more.
Many advanced users and professionals search for a workhorse. It is that workhorse because it features a bedframe of stainless steel, a robust interior frame, and allows you to sew at the maximum speed of 1,100 spm (stitches per minute) continuously. You may start feeling exhausted, but it won’t.
- Its automatic needle threader prevents eye strain and frustration.
- A host of sewing accessories allows you to do different types of tasks.
- The top-loading bobbin system is easy to set up, and its clear cover simplifies monitoring the thread supply to the bobbin.
- Threading guides on its top make threading easy and quick.
- A limited warranty of 25 years ensures a long-life.
- According to some customers, it makes more noise than usual.
Singer 4423 is a heavy-duty sewing machine best for everyone in search of a sewing tool that helps in doing the tasks quickly and efficiently. You can watch the demo of this model by clicking here.
The next one I have is the affordable Singer Start 1234 portable sewing machine. It is budget-friendly, does not miss basic functionalities, and looks elegant when placed on a sewing table.
Amongst its 6-inbuilt stitches, the best one is the 4-step buttonhole stitch that allows you to make elegant buttonholes. Other impressive features of this machine are double spool pins, stitch dial to easily select stitches, 3-presser feet, and printed threading diagrams.
- The availability of almost all essential accessories makes it a money saver.
- Its comprehensive and easy-to-understand user guide, instructions manual help a lot.
- It takes only 6-seconds to thread the whole sewing machine.
- The metallic internal skeleton enhances its durability.
- It allows users to sew with double needles.
- It is warranted only for Canada and the US.
Singer Start 1234 is a portable and affordable sewing machine with all essential functions. If you want a reliable sewing machine without spending much, it is the one. If you can do embroidery with a sewing machine, it is the best machine you should have.
Though my second pick can also be the best choice for beginner sewers, however, I found that Singer XL-420 is one of the best sewing and embroidery machines for beginners. I believe beginners should not settle for less.
This machine introduces and prepares beginners for a bright future. It comes with 200 different types of embroidery designs, 30 inbuilt sewing stitches, and 5-monogramming fonts. It hardly misses any feature necessary for beginners.
- With six bright LEDs, it properly illuminates the work area.
- 1-step buttonhole sewing eases the process.
- The presence of knee-lifter means you can lower or raise its presser foot without touching with hands.
- Users can program the needle for Up/ Down and Stop.
- Drop feed adds perfection to embroidering, attaching machines, and monogramming.
- It does not have a thread cutting indicator.
Singer XL-420 is the best sewing and embroidery machine for beginners. It helps them easily learn what they’ll be using in the future. I think it might be one of the reasons for using the term ‘Futura’ in the best Singer embroidery machines.
My next pick, Singer XL-550, is the best sewing and embroidery machine for professionals. Professionals expect their work companion to be durable, efficient, and easily to operate so that they can finish their projects quickly. Singer XL-550 offers it all.
Can you sew all kinds of materials with a sewing machine? Learn the easy way to do faux leather sewing with this machine.
The main features included in this machine are 215 inbuilt sewing stitches, 125 inbuilt embroidery designs, outline lettering, five fonts, automatic needle threader, computerized embroidery system, and bright LEDs to lit up the work area.
- The availability of bonus software is a big help for professionals.
- Its drop & sew bobbin system prevents users from manually adjusting the bobbin.
- The extra-large work area of 8 ¼ inches is perfect for professionals.
- Its embroidery software is compatible with almost all common design files.
- It allows customizing embroidery designs on the computer.
- Its threader system sometimes leads to broken needles.
Singer XL-550 is one of the best embroidery sewing machines for professionals. Whether sewing stitches, embroidery designs, extended workspace, or any other feature, each one makes sewing and embroidery easy.
My last pick is Singer Quantum Stylist 9960, the best portable and computerized sewing machine. It is quite popular amongst sewers because Singer has added many easy-to-use features in this machine.
You’ll find that it has 600 inbuilt stitches, 13 inbuilt single-step buttonholes, 5 alphanumeric fonts, and many more useful features. Its sewing speed of 850 spm (stitches per minute) quickly sews projects, but I feel it is a little less because many sewing machines with sewing speed above 1,000 spm are available in the market.
- Most types of presser feet come with this machine.
- Its inbuilt automatic needle threader is a time saver.
- Electronic double-needle settings are useful when sewing requires a double needle.
- Its extension table increases the working area.
- Robust internal metal frame construction adds to its durability.
- Its thread cutting blade dulls quickly.
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is a high-quality sewing-only machine. If you want to invest in this machine, make sure you have prior knowledge to operate sewing machines. Yes, you shouldn’t be a beginner.
Singer Sewing and Embroidery Machine Buying Guide
Consider These Before Buying A Singer Sewing and Embroidery Machine
To get the best Singer-sewing and embroidery machine, you should consider the following things.
Whether beginners, advanced users, hobbyists, or professionals, Singer makes machines for all types of sewers and embroiders. Find out which category you belong to and what is the objective you need to fulfill. Will you be using it for yourself or commercial purposes? Would your clients prefer hand or machine embroidery? A clear purpose will give you direction.
Only Sewing, Only Embroidery, or Combo
Singer makes various types of sewing and embroidery machines. You should find out whether sewing-only, embroidery-only or a sewing and embroidery combo machine is going to help you achieve your objective.
Sometimes you are introduced to the combo of sewing and embroidery machines, but you already own a sewing machine. In this case, you should invest only in one of the best embroidery machines.
The next thing you should consider is your budget or the price of the great Singer machine you are aiming to buy. Find out whether the sewing machine you are attracted to falls in your budget or not. Mostly, a little research helps people find a relevant sewing machine within their budget.
It’s a good thing to consider expert reviews before making the final purchase. However, you shouldn’t neglect reviews from other customers as well. Sometimes experts miss a few flaws, and merchants won’t ever tell you about them. But if you go through customer reviews, you may find about them. If required, change your decision.
Types of Machines from Singer
The brand Singer makes great machines to cover all needs of sewers, embroiders, and quilters. With so many options, you must know which is the right machine for you. Here are different types of machines Singer manufactures:
Electrical Sewing Machines
These are the advanced sewing machines and make sewing tasks easier. They also improve productivity as users can do more in less time.
Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machines
Computerized sewing machines have many advanced features, such as built-in stitches, top stitching, and allowing users to use the patterns downloaded from the internet.
Mechanical Sewing Machines
These machines make sure that users get all the basic features. When it is about changing the settings of these machines, there are knobs to change them.
Heavy Duty Sewing Machines
These are best suitable for commercial purposes as they can do the job consistently for a long time. Professionals or advanced users who spend most of the time sewing can also find heavy-duty sewing machines useful.
These machines are best suitable for people involved in quilting tasks. They are time savers and promote professionalism.
Serger machines are also known as overlockers. If you are into garment production, you’ll identify the value in a Singer Serger Machine.
A person can do multiple tasks. Keeping this as the basis, Singer has introduced machines that are a single unit but can carry out multiple tasks. Some famous combos include
- sewing & embroidery tasks
- sewing, embroidery, and quilting tasks
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Sometimes needles of a sewing machine break. Why?
Needles break when they are dull, damaged, or bent. If your sewing machine’s needle breaks, replace it, and make sure that the new one is suitable for the type of material you’ll sew.
2. How often do I need to oil my Singer sewing machine?
This information is usually available in the user manual of Singer sewing machines. If you can’t find it, note that these machines come pre-lubricated from the factory and do not need extra lubrication for a long time. If you still want to learn to oil sewing machines, refer to this sewing machine lubricating guide.
3. Can I sew heavy fabrics and denim with my best Singer sewing machine?
Singer machines are quite efficient when you need to sew heavy fabrics as well as denim. For best results, consider the following amongst other things:
- For heavy fabrics: Use a needle of size 16 or 18 from the Singer brand.
- For denim: Use a denim style 2026-needle from Singer brand.
4. Should I keep the presser foot of my embroidery Singer machine in UP or DOWN position?
You should always keep the presser foot of your Singer in DOWN position because, in the UP position, it’ll either entangle the thread or jam the bobbin. Do you know the right way to use a ruffler foot?
5. How long can my Singer sewing & embroidery machine serve?
With proper maintenance, your Singer sewing & embroidery machine can fulfill your sewing and embroidery needs beyond your expectations. As my mother’s Singer is still in a working condition, I want to say that they can serve for more than a generation.
Moreover, you can check at Amazon the warranty available with your sewing machine. It will give you an idea of how long your sewing machine can serve you.
The brand Singer doesn’t need any introduction because many people know that it is one of the best sewing machine brands in the whole world. It is the world’s oldest sewing machine brand and is also associated with the historical sewing machine revolution.
A little research can help you get the best sewing and embroidery machine from this brand. However, the trendsetter nowadays is the Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine.